27.12.10

"TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection" , WTF!

3 days ago, I had this problem right after coming back from Surabaya to Jombang. I plugged the LAN cable to ethernet port on my laptop, but no Internet Access is gained.  Strangely, pinging the router (192.168.1.1) is not working like it was, the CMD window was giving “Destination Host Unreachable” crap. When I tried to repair the connection, the windows is giving me a -crappy– message like this:

Lucky me, my father got a PC that had already connected to internet, so I can easily ask Google for solutions. And then I found the thing about resetting WinSock entries and resetting TCP/IP stack to installation defaults by useing Netsh command utility. At first I really don't know if this thing have something to do with my problem. But it works! like a -charm– 

There are 2 methods available for the tricks, the first is done manually and the second, done automatically.

Let's see how the first method works. By using the Netsh command utility, first you have to:

  • Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.
  • Type netsh winsock reset catalog to reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults
    Resetting the socket which manages the TCP/IP. This can be used to handle network problems (browser problem, IP address related problems, etc..)
  • And then type this one netsh int ip reset reset.log to reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults.
    PS. reset.log or C:\reset.log represents the address of the file in which the reporting will be stored
  • Finally, reboot the machine -in order for this fix to works properly-

For the second method, it's pretty nifty and need not to be explained as clearly as above trick. You only have to download the -freeware- WinSock XP Fix. and then run it by double clicking the program, click the [Fix] button. Upon finished installing or fixing, reboot your PC or Laptop.

Upon rebooted, VOILA! your network will properly work again -restored- like it used to be. :D

blog comments powered by Disqus