15.2.10

Delayed Schedule

It’s February 2010,

And I’m still resides in my home country -Indonesia- . I should be at Melbourne by now, looking for fully furnished vacant place or flat to live in 1.5 years ahead. What for? I had taken a major that would grant me an international bachelor degree in one of the –a little bit infamous- university in Surabaya. There are 8 sophomores –including me- and 2 of them had gone abroad doing some adaptation and stuffs. Some of us didn’t do well in our IELTS test; we must pass the passing grade given by the university, 6.0 each and we aren’t. Thus the schedule was delayed...


My test result was somewhat bad in Writing test, I got 5.5 -poor me-. I got more than 6.0 besides Writing & Speaking. Still, that was unacceptable and they –the university- have recommended me to enrol an English Class named ELICOS in Aussie for 10 weeks to be accepted as their students.

The good news, I could take it as fast as possible. The bad news is, 10 weeks course in ELICOS is really pricey for me. How come? Let’s say, the total course fee is AUS $3,400.00, if we convert that amount of money to Indonesian Rupiahs (IDR):
AUS $3,400.00   X   IDR Rp.8,000.00  =  IDR Rp.27,200,000.00
Please note that the currency is not as stable as you think and it may be changed by now.

Knowing that ELICOS costing a great deal for me, I chose not to enrol it, and made a plan to retake the IELTS examination one more time. IELTS costs relatively cheap than ELICOS. It’s around –if I’m not mistaken- USD $.192.00.
Besides the problem mentioned above, there are also some private problem. Family business in recession and financial loss caused by some irresponsible buyers. Thus I had to help my parents recovering their business. And thus, the “gone abroad” schedule has delayed.
blog comments powered by Disqus